So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up… – Ephesians 4:11-12
LEADERSHIP IS ABOUT EMPOWERMENT: BUILDING SOMEONE ELSE UP
Jesus spent most of his time building up Peter, James, and John. Three guys. And the rest of his time was primarily invested in building up the other eight disciples. Then the crowds got a little bit of his time too as he spread seeds of the Gospel extravagantly up on the masses. Things happen in a person’s life when they have someone intentionally trying to build them up. Empowerment is God’s design.
Whether you are a youth leader, a pastor, a parent, or a manager of others, you can build someone up today. And when you do, things move in the spiritual realm. Lives are changed. I have had so many gracious people build me up over the years It’s almost overwhelming to think of how much God has shown his love to me by putting people in my life who have given so much of their heart and time to “increase my potential.” Now I get the power of empowerment because someone took the time to empower me. That’s how big ideas multiply. Through modeling.
RELATED POST: 3 REASONS WHY GREAT LEADERS RUN TO THE HILLS FOR GROWTH
EMPOWERMENT INCREASES THE POTENTIAL OF SOMEONE ELSE
It all begins with having a vision for someone else beyond yourself. We are created in the image of God. When we align with God’s design we function properly. Like an engine that has been tuned up, when we become other-centered as a result of immersing ourselves in God’s love for us, we begin to “fire on all cylinders…” And people get built up and empowered to pursue their full potential all around us. Here is the way the Apostle Paul says leaders ought to orient their lives around Gospel-oriented empowerment:
My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, -Galatians 4:19
8 SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW YOU CAN PRACTICALLY & SPIRITUALLY EMPOWER SOMEONE TODAY
1. Prayerfully commit to increasing the potential of 3 people’s lives this year. Keep it to just a few people like Jesus did. Write down their names.
2. Pray, “Lord, I desire to have your vision for: ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name]. Please help me increase their potential this year.”
3. Ask Jesus, “Would you give me a glimpse into how you have uniquely created ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name]?”
4. Pray, “Jesus, what kind of fruit might you want to increase in ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name]’s life? How can I join you in that?”
5. Ask Jesus, “What fruit is there in ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name]’s life right now that I can affirm and encourage?”
6. Pray, “Jesus, please help me talk with ____________[Fill in the blank with their name] and help them discern what their spiritual gifts are. I pray that ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name] would surrender their gifts and talents to you so that they can powerfully advance the Kingdom of God in their arena of influence.”
7. Lord, “I know this is a sensitive area, but if it would help ____________[Fill in the blank with their name], would you help me gently nudge him/her to deal with any undealt-with sin or darkness in their life? Is there anything that may be keeping them from releasing their full potential?
8. Pray, “Jesus, will you show me regularly how ____________ [Fill in the blank with their name] is blessing me. Please help me know you more intimately through my relationship with him/her?”
LET’S DO THIS
- Prayerfully identify just a few people to intentionally build up this year.
- Use this model to help guide your prayer for them over the next few weeks and see what God does with it!